Keeping the Bliss
On your wedding day, everything seems like a beautiful dream. But the reality of life often calls lovebirds back down to earth. Whether the both of you find your roots or crash and burn depends on a delicate balance of patience, hard work, understanding, commitment and kindness. Making it together isn’t easy, but making the effort helps.
OF ONE MIND
There’s no magic formula, but letting your spouse know that you’re always thinking of their feelings and needs can go a long way. It’s important to always be in sync with each other – and to never feel like you are alone in the relationship. Try communicating regularly:
- · Compliments. “You look great.”
- · Consideration. “Is there any way I can help?”
- · Humility. “I am sorry. Let’s work on it together.”
- · Affirmation. “I love you.”
OF ONE HEART
Conflicts will always arise, but you can choose how to resolve them. When feeling at odds with your loved one, the heart may rule, but it is best to keep in mind that:
- · You have to choose your battles. If you are to spend the rest of your life with this person, is it really important to bring this issue up? If not, let it go.
- · Direct but calm communication is always preferable to passive-aggressiveness or avoidance. If need be, take a time-out to sort out your respective feelings. When both parties are clear-minded and objective, this leads to reasonable discussion rather than emotional warfare.
- · When in doubt, ask nicely – and don’t presume. Trusting and respecting your partner go hand in hand.
- · Take the initiative to set things right. Individual pride pales next to lifelong love and partnership.
OF ONE BODY
The physical aspect of sustaining a relationship is also important. While you are both young and in love, health is easy to take for granted. Ensure your marriage will always be in prime condition by:
- · Sharing wellness. A sedentary lifestyle can affect your sex life and general health, and worst case scenarios of chronic health issues like heart disease and diabetes can greatly strain even the best marriages. Make healthy living fun by cooking nutritious meals together, and schedule health checkups regularly.
- · Keeping fit. Scheduling exercise into your weekly routines strengthens marital bonds: the time spent together in exciting activities keeps both of you in tip-top condition and in high spirits.
- · Maintaining physical intimacy. No one likes to feel like sex is just another box on the to-do list; rather, it’s a beautiful and sensuous deepening of romance bringing both of you closer. So keep the flame alive in small ways. Hold hands, hug, or even just gaze into each other’s eyes every day. Or splurge on the occasional romantic adventure, be it dinner or a vacation.
Ultimately, marriage is a journey, so you need to be well-prepared for roadbumps along the way – but remember to pause every once in a while to enjoy the beauty of it all.